Sunday, May 14, 2006

Words, Words, Words

I usually blog at Semicolon, but I thought I'd write an occasional post here about words and my love of them. Start with a meme; go out with a bang. The initiator of this erudite blog very kindly allowed me to post here, so I borrowed (and edited) this word meme from Stefanie at So Many Books. To be on the safe side.

Words that always look misspelled to me:
obscene, obsession, skiing, Qatar, judgment, acquiesce, grieve, posttest

Words I enjoy saying:
misanthropic, anthropomorphic, surreptitious, melancholy, parmesan, lackadaisical

Words I enjoy hearing:
thank you, I love you, yes m'am.

Abbreviations I dislike:
lbs. (lubs?), ms. (miz?).

Proper nouns I enjoy:
Dime Box, Texas
Bilbo Baggins
Lake Wobegon
General Shalishkavili
Ramona Quimby

Words I associate with happiness:
children, chocolate, celebration, flowers, autumn

Words I always misspell:
obcession, judgement, innoculate, preemptory.

Words I enjoy spelling correctly, every time:
miscellaneous, embarrass, Philippians, Deuteronomy, congratulations

Words that, though I love their meaning, I'm too embarrassed to say out loud:
Any big long words that I'm afraid people will think pretentious.

Words I can never remember the meaning of no matter how many times I look them up:
biennial, mauve, cerulean.

Words that sound like what they mean:
lugubrious, grotesque, bilious, loathe, wheeze, brusque

Words that sound like something other than what they mean:
pulchritude, corporeal, minuend, benignant, cryogenics

I'll try to do something a little more original next time, but at least all you logophiliacs can get an introduction to some of my favorite words. Join in if you'd like.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Simone said...

A particular favorite word of mine is "caddywumpus."

8:18 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

I noticed that all your words that "sound like what they mean" tend toward negative meanings. I guess this does tend to be the case... I'm trying to think of a few examples that imply positive goodness. "Scintillating," maybe?

10:46 AM  
Blogger John B. said...

Thanks for sharing these. One of my very favorite words, especially since I moved to the center of the continent, is "archipelago."

At his blog, Jeremy Freese has a (long) list of his favorite words to hear or say. It's a pretty good list.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Thomas McAllister said...

A favorite word of mine is "blatherskite"--file under "Words I'm embarrassed to say out loud" and "Words that sound like what they mean."

12:13 AM  
Blogger Veronica Mitchell said...

I love your list, especially the words that look misspelled to you. I did this same meme awhile ago, though it has morphed a little since then.

Thanks for leaidng me to this site! I mourned the loss of a few words recently. This looks wonderful. I will be back.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home