Thursday, July 28, 2005

I want to join…but I’m afraid.

FAQ # 3

::

It's true that classy linguists have fallen on hard times. Tell someone you’re being "facetious" and they’ll look at you funny.

Under these circumstances, fear of seizing wordpower is understandable. Fear is a natural reaction when millions of people tacitly disapprove of what you’re about to do.

But take the first defiant step and the anxiety will pass. Soon you'll be enjoying the rush that comes from flouting highschoolese speakers everywhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mental multivitamin said...

I'm thinking we would "flout," not "flaunt."

http://www.cjr.org/tools/lc/flaunt.asp

10:14 AM  
Blogger Sprittibee said...

How wonderful what you are proposing to do! I was just watching Sense and Sensibility the other night, and reveling in the lovely English language they used in the script. I felt dispair that our language has been so thoroughly diluted by slang and laziness over the years. I saw this funny quote that I posted on my blog this week (which I thought you might also enjoy):

"English doesn't borrow from other languages.
English follows other languages down dark alleys,
knocks them over, and goes through their pockets
for loose grammar."

-- Author Unknown --

11:39 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

I'm thinking we would "flout," not "flaunt."

Ouch. I knew leading the charge would be painful, but this...

From this point on I'll be flouting my mad word skills while avoiding flaunting displays.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home